11.03.2007

apparently i am too tall...

so, on friday i had this email in my mailbox

Hi Hal,
I ran into a snag on your bike. The down tube I have here is not long enough. A 29er has a lower BB 'drop' and your top tube (25") is pretty long. Those factors combine to create a long distance between the BB and head tube. The reynolds 853 tube I ordered is pretty standard (680 mm) Your bike needs a DT about 710 mm long I checked the specs from reynolds and they DO offer a DT that is 730mm, however I can only get what the distributor in California stocks. I will find out tomorrow. I also have access to True Temper tubes. They have an 'OX platinum' series at the top of the line, it IS long enough ( 740mm) to work. I also moved the jig around a bit to find out what I could build with this tube. The closest to your geometry I could get was a 24.75" TT (not 25) and a 71.5 deg ST (not 73) I know this kind of sucks, I've made lots of 29er frames, but none this big. Unless the longer reynolds tube is available (this is unlikely) I guess its a choice between the true temper or modifying the geometry. thanks mt

so, it looks like i won't be having 853 on the down tube. the geometry is more important than the material, and besides going to the OX platinum is more of a lateral move than a vertical one. i asked MT his opinion and he likes both, saying that i would not notice the difference in ride characteristics between the two.

looks like the shipping date will be sometime during the week of nov. 12-16. i am going to have it shipped directly to enviro-tech in winkler who is doing the powder coating and clear coat ($125).

yipee.

1 comment:

mhandsco said...

I had the same issue when I built my track bike. Yamaguchi had to dig pretty deep into his stash to find a DT long enough to fit my 61cm TT.

Mutt bikes rock. You can brag of your custom-tuned downtube!